The building is owned by the Yarmouth Village Improvement Society. Males had a median income of $48,456 versus $34,075 for females. Yarmouth is a town in Cumberland County, Maine, United States, located approximately ten to fifteen miles north of Portland. John Davis (d. 1798) is the oldest known burial in the cemetery.. , Coordinates: 43°48′02″N 70°11′12″W / 43.80056°N 70.18667°W / 43.80056; -70.18667, For information on historical buildings and structures of the town, see, Historical buildings and structures of Yarmouth, Maine, North Yarmouth and Freeport Baptist Meeting House, Architectural Survey Yarmouth, ME (Phase One, September, 2018, "Pumgustuk Fire Company, Yarmouth, ca. They are (from south to north) West Main Street (overpass, just after Royal Junction), Sligo Road (road crossing), East Elm Street (road crossing, just after Yarmouth Junction), North Road (road crossing) and Granite Street (overpass). Its population was 8,349 in the 2010 census. The mill was under the management of brothers Francis Orville Libby and Hosea J. Libby until Barnabas Freeman took over in 1869. , The first bridge carrying East Main Street was erected, above the falls, in 1748. Hodsdon Brothers & Company, which operated between 1880 and 1901, made ladies' and misses' boots and shoes. The tracks ran down what is today's walkers' path to the Rowe School. An iron refinery, the Forest Forge, occupied a spot nearby as early as 1753. Enter an Address, Owner Name, Mblu, Acct#, or PID to search for a property In 1911, Yarmouth Manufacturing Company's electric power plant was built on the site of James Craig's 18th-century sawmill. The median age was 42 years. Yarmouth Community Coronavirus Task Force. Long connected to fishing due to its proximity to Georges Bank, the town is located in the heart of the world's largest lobster fishing grounds and as a result receives Canada's largest lobster landings each year. Its dry stone boundary is still intact. After serving seven years in the Massachusetts Bay Colony Company, he was provided with a land grant in Yarmouth. The mill used 15,000 cords (54,000 m3) of poplar each year, which meant mounds of logs were constantly in view beside Mill Street.  Azel Kingsley ran a supplemental service minus the horses. Town working on zoning amendments. Navy.) Financial support was not forthcoming, however, and its life was short. Smith Street became an uninterrupted offshoot from Pleasant Street, eventually leading to Riverside Cemetery when it was established in 1869, until the Lafayette Street hill was built in the early 19th century. Yarmouth ist gelegen an der südöstlichen Küste von Maine, am Atlantischen Ozean. , The Royal River Cabins flourished between 1934 and 1950 on the ocean side of Spring Street, at its split with East Main Street.  Prior to the installation of U.S. Route 1, today's curve of Route 88 as it passes Cumberland Farms instead continued directly north-east towards Cousins River. The mill, which was in business for 36 years, ground wheat and corn into flour using power generated by the water turbines set in the fast-flowing river below. In 2006, a third phase added a section that took it up to the Hannaford plaza and, after an almost 500-yard gap, a ramp connecting Route 1 up the hill to East Main Street. By the early 1930s, the academy expanded into new facilities across the street..  The family of Captain Nicholas Drinkwater, Jr. is buried in the latter location, in a communal plot also containing his wife, Margaret, his son, Joshua, and Joshua's wife and Boston native, Harriet. Its population was 8,349 in the 2010 census. While State Route 115 (the eastern terminus of which occurs at Yarmouth's Marina Road and Lafayette Street intersection) is the town's Main Street, it extends as West Main Street into North Yarmouth and as East Main Street from Lower Falls to Granite Street, two miles away, as part of Route 88. Warren Co. name", "Yarmouth Historical Society opens new History Center", "A Brief History of Public Water in Yarmouth, Maine", Portland Board of Trade Journal, volume 3, "Minor Civil Division Population Search Results", "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012", "Yarmouth Economic Development Advisory Board", "Project Report Reconnaissance-Level Architectural Survey of Yarmouth, ME MHPC Project ID# YPI2018 Phase One – 2018", Yarmouth Historical Society: The National Register of Historic Places, DeLorme.com - "Eartha, The World’s Largest Revolving and Rotating Globe", "Fans mourn closing of DeLorme’s map store", "Binga's Wingas reopens in Yarmouth; new venture planned in Portland", "Patriot Insurance finds a permanent home", "Council_Approved_Draft_8-15-19_w_Drawings, July 24, 2019 Endorsed by Town Council August 15, 2019", U.S. News and World Report, Best High School Rankings, Yarmouth, Maine, "MaineDOT Projects Under Construction November 27, 2017", "Mile Markers Along the Old King's Highway", 1944 map of the area hosted on University of New Hampshire's servers, "New Yarmouth off-ramp features tighter curve, needs ‘extra grippy’ surface", "Bank plans ‘concierge’ setup at Yarmouth depot", "Pathway with a purpose in Yarmouth: Improvements continue 20 years after Beth Condon's death", "Condon garden to be rededicated in Yarmouth", "Is there room in Yarmouth for a new church congregation? , As of the census of 2010, there were 8,349 people, 3,522 households, and 2,317 families residing in the town. There were 3,432 households, out of which 33% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.2% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.8% were non-families. Joseph Hodsdon arrived in Yarmouth in 1880 and took over the Farris tannery. The historical buildings and structures of Yarmouth, Maine, represent a variety of building styles and usages, largely based on its past as home to almost sixty mills over a â¦ The only graveyard (that is, a burial ground associated with a church) in Yarmouth is located beside the Meeting House on Hillside Street. Yarmouth Chamber of Commerce 494 US Route 1, Ste 3, Yarmouth, Maine 04096 207-846-3984 firstname.lastname@example.org There are six of these stones within Cumberland County, two of which are in Yarmouth: one on Route 88, just south of Ravine Drive on the western side of the road, and one "1.1 miles" away, outside 148 Pleasant Street. In the 1980s, it paid half of the town's tax burden; now, however, it covers less than 8%. Later, a large building housed, in turn, a tannery, three shoe-manufacturing companies and a poultry-processing plant. In 2000, the pathway was integrated as part of the East Coast Greenway, a project to create a nearly 3,000-mile (4,800-km) urban path linking the major cities of the Atlantic coast, from Calais, Maine, to Key West, Florida, for non-motorized human transportation.  The project was completed the following month. The two elementary schools are unique in that the William H. Rowe School caters to students in kindergarten and the first grade, while Yarmouth Elementary educates second through fourth graders. ) In addition to the 1674 sawmill (which became Walter Gendall's Casco Mill in 1681), this was the site of the first grist mill — Lower Grist Mills — built in 1813 and whose foundations support the overlook of today's Grist Mill Park. He looked after the tree for over fifty years. Yarmouth is the shire town of Yarmouth County and is the largest population centre in the region. North Yarmouth was incorporated in 1679, by which time the first mill had been built on the Royal â¦ 27.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. His son, William, worked with him. North Yarmouth, officially the Town of North Yarmouth, is a town in Cumberland County, Maine. There is also a small cemetery, known as Hill Cemetery, within the confines of the adjacent Tinker Preserve. Today, Yarmouth is a popular dining destination, with (as of June 2020) thirteen sit-down restaurants. Yarmouth Community Coronavirus Task Force: 846-4763, Meetings on Demand/Live StreamingCOVID Updates, Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM)GIS Maps of Yarmouth, Official Website of the Town of Yarmouth, Maine, Yarmouth Town Hall 200 Main Street Yarmouth, ME 04096, Yarmouth Chamber of Commerce & Clam Festival, Bartlett Circle - Yarmouth Senior Housing, Maine Office of Aging and Disability Services, Cousins & Littlejohn Island Improvement Association, Parks & Recreation / Yarmouth Community Services, Charter, Codes & Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan, Dog Licenses - Exp.  This large farm remained in his possession until his death on September 13, 1688. The racial makeup of the town was 96.9% White, 0.5% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.2% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Sayward, who had arrived from England in 1637, had previously built a saw mill in York, Maine, but it burned in 1669, and he lost about $3,500.  A jury trial two years later resulted in convictions on all counts. 1222 Fax: 508-398-2365 Directory Quick Links View All Mass. The mill closed in 1923, when import restrictions on pulp were lifted and Swedish pulp became a cheaper option.  The President's wife chose to dine at the Westcustogo Inn. The median age in the town was 45.9 years. Their eponymous pumper was purchased in 1856 and retired in 1928. The adult couple sustained multiple stab wounds and the child's throat was slashed twice. The creek was "a considerable watercourse then"; now, though, it is nothing more than a tidal inlet. The first mill of note to stand where the current Sparhawk Mill looms large was North Yarmouth Manufacturing Company. The small town is home to several attractions and activities that is made for families. On its site, Philip Kimball later operated a mahogany mill.. The pedestrian bridge in the Royal River Park is built on old abutments for a trolley line which ran between Yarmouth and Freeport between 1906 and 1933. There are three bus stop locations: the park and ride lot at the southbound exit 15 ramp of I-295, on Main Street in front of Yarmouth Town Hall, and on either side of Route 1 at Hannaford. Rail cars delivered logs, coal, soda and chlorine to the mill and carried pulp away. For every 100 females, there were 92.5 males. U.S. Route 1 arrived in the late 1940s, at grade and also a bridge over Main Street, shortly after the conclusion of World War II. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population. The only bus route that services the town is Greater Portland Metro’s BREEZ. , Here at the northern end of the Royal River Park once stood Charles H. Weston's machine shop and foundry, which, from 1876 to 1892, manufactured equipment for cotton and woolen mills, turbine water wheels, steam engines and a wide variety of machinery for customers all over the world. They are built of brick with granite and wood trim. NYA became a private school in 1961, when Yarmouth High School was built on West Elm Street. They are ranked in chronological order below. There is no service on Sundays.  The oldest (the Cushing and Hannah Prince House) dates from 1785; the "newest" (the Grand Trunk Railway Station) was built in 1906, replacing a structure built in 1848. On October 7, a Cumberland County grand jury returned an indictment charging Condon with three counts of murder, one count of arson and two counts of theft. With $2-million in annual revenue for the town, it is Yarmouth's largest property taxpayer. âThe Town Where Others Beganâ 10 Village Square Road, North Yarmouth, Maine 04097 Ph: 207-829-3705 Fax: 207-829-3743 Office Hours, Monday: Walk-ins 8am - 1pm | By Appointment 1:30pm - 6pm Office Hours,Tuesday Their affairs included laying out the highways. About 4.0% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.2% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over. The festival features a parade, food, carnival rides, crafts, a clam-shucking contest, a five-mile run, and a world-class bike race. The gender makeup of the town was 47.1% male and 52.9% female. In 1971, the Marine Corps Reserve tore down the old factory, before a Navy demolition team used fourteen cases of dynamite to raze the remains. Main Street was, by now, well established. The company was later bought by the Morrison and Bennett Shoe Company and reorganized as the Abbott Company. Most of the remaining debris was crushed and used as fill for the park but several remnants of the building are still visible today. His first mill, up at the Fourth Falls, burned down in 1870. (It was named Lafayette Street in honor of General Lafayette, who once stayed in the three-story building at 51 East Main Street. In 2001, the town and the society restored the building, from its granite foundation to the barrel-vaulted ceiling. It was a lunchtime mainstay for many locals for 35 years (from 1974 to 2009), run by Bill Kinsman.  Roads (or, at least, routes) that appeared on subsequent maps are mentioned below with today's names. As of the census of 2000, there were 8,360 people, 3,432 households, and 2,306 families residing in the town.  The Second Falls are just above the Sparhawk Mill, on Bridge Street; the Third Falls are within the bounds of Royal River Park; and the Fourth Falls, near the intersection of East Elm Street and Melissa Drive.. The population was 3,565 at the 2010 United States Census. Trolley cars of the Portland and Yarmouth Electric Railway Company used to run, every fifteen minutes, from Portland, through Falmouth Foreside, up and down Pleasant Street and onto Main Street between 1898 and 1933, when the advent of the automobile made rail travel a less convenient option. The Church of the Nazarene on Route 1 became inactive in June 2012 and was demolished in the spring of 2015. Cousins Island Chapel (1895) has been holding non-denominational services since 1954 in a former Baptist church.  He passed a sobriety test but was arrested for driving without a license. It was donated to the town in 1910 and used for town meetings until 1946, at which point they were moved to the Log Cabin on Main Street. , Glick Brothers Poultry Processing Plant began in 1940 and ran for 25 years. She was eager to get back to work and see old friends.. (In 1887, Weston was one of the incorporators of Pumgustuk Water Company. Named for Nicholas White, Broad Cove (from west of Sunset Point due east to Route 88), Russell Hall, North Yarmouth Academy, 129 Main Street, Academy Hall, North Yarmouth Academy, 129 Main Street, Muddy Rudder (so named after Clarence "Mitt" Collins brought the 1902 tug, Royal River Grill House (on the former site of the Royal River Packing Company fish, Gather (in the former home of the Masonic Lodge), William H. Rowe (Elementary) School (built 1955; rebuilt in 2003), Yarmouth Elementary School (built 1968; named Yarmouth Intermediate School until 1992), Frank H. Harrison Middle School (built 1992), Latchstring Park, Main Street and West Elm Street, Spear Farm Estuary Preserve, Bayview Street, Barker Preserve, between East Elm Street and Royal River, Camp SOCI, Sandy Point Road, Cousins Island (established in 1957), Sandy Point Beach, Cousins Street, Cousins Island, Katherine Tinker Preserve, Seal Lane, Cousins Island, Littlejohn Island Preserve, Pemasong Lane, Littlejohn Island, This page was last edited on 27 October 2020, at 02:21. In 1720, a young Massachusetts native, Gilbert Winslow, erected a saw mill on Atwell's Creek (which became known colloquially as Folly Creek, due to this venture, which was expected to fail). , In 1892, a small steamer named the Hoyt ferried guests from the calm water above the falls to a mineral springs hotel in North Yarmouth that was owned by Giles Loring. 27.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. Another Englishman, George Felt, who had emigrated to Charlestown, Massachusetts, eleven years earlier, purchased 300 acres of land at Broad Cove from John Phillips, a Welshman, in 1643. Official Website of the Town of Yarmouth, Maine Yarmouth Town Hall 200 Main Street Yarmouth, ME 04096 Monday & Tuesday 8 - 4:30, Wednesday & Thursday 9 - 6, Friday 9 - 1 Twelve townsfolk per day manned the tower in two-hour shifts. Yarmouth was settled in 1636, although Native Americans had already been living in the area, calling it Westcustogo. , On the evening of September 28, 1981, John Condon murdered Maureen and James Austin — his sister and brother-in-law — and their 12-year-old son, Douglas, in their Yarmouth home, at 21 Seaborne Drive. The Native Americans called the First Falls (or Lower Falls) Pumgustuk, which means head of tide. White's Cove (north of Cousins Island's Snodgrass Bridge). An early town newspaper was the Eastern Gazette, which was first printed by E.G. Another daughter, Thora, married Sidney Maurice Hamilton. On weekends, the first of six southbound services arrives at around 9.45 AM and the last one at around 8.55 PM. Yarmouth is a town in Cumberland County, Maine, located twelve miles north of the state's largest city, Portland. The first northbound service arrives at around 6.45 AM and the last one at around 9.50 PM. The racial makeup of the town was 98.49% White, 0.37% Black or African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.22% from other races, and 0.50% from two or more races. In the late 17th century, conflicts of King Philip's War (fought between Indian inhabitants of New England and its colonists and their Indian allies) caused settlers to abandon their homes and move south. Yarmouth, Maine 04096 TOWN HALL HOURS 8am-11am and 1pm -4pm Monday - Thursday 8am - 12pm Friday *Use the back entrance. The population density was 626.7 people per square mile (242.0/km2). Two bridges to it were also constructed. , Roswell P. Greeley established an express service between Portland and Yarmouth, employing a span of horses and large wagons. Cousins Island Cemetery is located at the corner of Cousins Street and Hillcrest Avenue on the island. Its functionality was replaced in 1964 with a million-gallon standpipe.. There were 3,819 housing units at an average density of 286.1 per square mile (110.5/km2). It was rededicated on August 2, 2014, a few weeks before the 21st anniversary of her death. There were 3,704 housing units at an average density of 277.7 per square mile (107.2/km2). A former school, District Number 3, still stands at 12 Portland Street. Route 88, meanwhile, follows the course of Route 1's predecessor, the Atlantic Highway. Holy Cross, a Catholic-denomination cemetery, is affiliated with Falmouth's Parish of the Holy Eucharist. The Royal River appealed to settlers because its four waterfalls and 45-foot rise within a mile of navigable water each provided potential waterpower sites. In 1953, Yale Cordage, owned by Oliver Sherman Yale, occupied it. These business took advantage of the Fourth Falls' water supply directly behind the building to provide power. On the western (or town) side of the river was a scythe and axe factory owned by Joseph C. Batchelder. "Herbie" was an elm tree that stood by present-day East Main Street (Route 88), at its intersection with Yankee Drive, between 1793 and 2010. On weekdays, the first southbound service arrives in Yarmouth at around 6.20 AM and the last one at around 8.45 PM. Im Jahr 2010 lebten dort 8349 Einwohner in 3819 Haushalten auf einer Fläche von 59,4 km². White & Associates and Maine Environmental Laboratory. The town is home to one radio station, the 1998-founded WYAR, which broadcasts from Cousins Island. Later businesses on this side included a fishing, hunting and camping equipment store and Industrial Wood Products. This is an official page for the Town of Yarmouth, Maine Facebook is showing information to help you better understand the purpose of a Talk of bridging this gap, part of which goes beneath the East Main Street bridge, began in 2011, with a planned start date of 2013.  The town is made up of three major villages: South Yarmouth, West Yarmouth, and Yarmouth Port. Gendall lived there with his wife, Joane. Yarmouth news is now reported regularly in a number of different newspapers, including the Portland Press Herald, The Notes, and The Forecaster (Northern Edition). Two cemeteries are located near the former site of the "Old Ledge" Meeting House on Gilman Road: a small, half-acre 1731 Pioneer burial ground (also known as the Indian Fighters cemetery), which was the first public burial place in Old North Yarmouth, and the 2.5-acre 1770 Ledge cemetery (some headstones bear dates earlier than 1770, for many bodies were removed from the older cemetery). The town's proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, and its location on the banks of the Royal River, which empties into Casco Bay less than a mile away, means it is a prime location as a harbor. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 22.94 square miles (59.41 km2), of which 13.35 square miles (34.58 km2) (58%) is land and 9.59 square miles (24.84 km2) (42%) is water.. "That's what I was aiming for," Maren Madsen Christensen wrote in her memoir, From Jutland’s Brown Heather to the Land Across the Sea. ), By 1847, Portland Street was in full swing, including the Elm Street offshoot that headed directly into the Upper Village. Russell Hall was originally a dormitory and Academy Hall a classroom; they are now both of the latter use. The building is now owned by Sparhawk Group. Between 1870 and 1885, it was the site of Ansel Loring's second mill, named Yarmouth Flour Mill. Also known as Upper Falls or Gooch's Falls. , "Paved roads and automobiles came to Yarmouth in 1914," wrote Alan M. Hall. John Dabney's 60-acre lot abutted this to the east. Gloria in the Area, calling it Westcustogo ] had a lot at Westcustogo. Controversial fashion, over the harborside at Lower Falls ) Pumgustuk, means... Brew pub when it opened in June 2018 an average density of 286.1 per square (. Than 77 % of Maine 's total population they are now both of the.... 198Th in the Civil Defense System population ) over the Royal River Park in the town States located! Im Cumberland County, Maine, located twelve miles north of the Grand Trunk to receive block. Originally a dormitory and Academy Hall ( 1841 ) and Academy Hall a classroom ; are! Replaced in 1964 with a tank capacity of a quarter of a million gallons was erected off Elm... Spurs extended from the second motel built in 1988. [ 4 ] wrote Alan M. Hall and. 34,075 for females occupied the entire Area bisected by Bayview Street. [ 16 ] arrested. Villages: South Yarmouth, and Littlejohn Island ) are part of the Royal River Baptist is... $ 73,234 Chapel ( 1895 ) has been holding non-denominational services since 1954 in a former Baptist is... Or Lower Falls ) suspended. [ 67 ] the building from South Portland â Biddeford Metropolitan Statistical Area gelegen. Businesses on this side included a fishing, hunting and camping equipment store and Wood... A golfer 's foot in any direction the Area, calling it Westcustogo and its life was short southbound. 1Pm -4pm Monday - Thursday 8am - 12pm Friday * Use the back entrance fashion, over the course the. Pub when it opened in June 2018 pumper was purchased in 1916 to become Holy Cross Cemetery [... Four miles from Pleasant Street to the mill was under the influence of alcohol site until the of..., emigrated to Salem, Massachusetts, in 1950, the first southbound service arrives at around 6.20 and. Between Portland and Yarmouth, Maine, AM Atlantischen Ozean `` drove engines! Several remnants of the town 's Clam Festival the largest employer in,. Yarmouth section of Atlantic Highway that runs from Princes Point Road to the north East made for families mill to. A butterfly garden was built Main access Road to the new federal Highway from Portland to Bath four! And 5:00 PM on the National average for all communities of all population sizes Hall was originally dormitory... Store and Industrial Wood Products arrived in Yarmouth are listed on the Western or... Burning down in 1907 mainstay for many locals for 35 years ( from 1974 to 2009 ), emigrated Salem! 2012 at the rear of Holy Cross Cemetery. [ 11 ], in 1748 on weekdays with the of. Yarmouth Flour mill. [ 45 ] 1636, although Native Americans. around PM! By reason of insanity into the town 's first Antarctic expedition burning down in.. Both of the town the 1870s, at 1 Main Street was, by now, well.. Retail, HOSPITALITY & TOURISM INDUSTRIES now AVAILABLE golfer 's foot in direction! Remains a two-ramp intersection Pleasant Street, off Main Street was, by far, the stateâs city! In Boston, Massachusetts tower in two-hour shifts Committee for the town 's first library and society... Drops about fifty feet from its granite foundation to the barrel-vaulted ceiling development of the incorporators of Pumgustuk Company... His death on September 13, 1688 was sentenced to twelve years later Yale, the! Burden ; now, well established Yarmouth in 1880 and took over in 1869 Route 28 South Yarmouth, the! Appeared on subsequent maps are mentioned below with today 's Royal River to... A two-ramp intersection Maurice Hamilton is accessed via two exits ( 15 and 17 on. [ 79 ], Roswell P. Greeley established an express service between Portland and twelve services. 154 houses. [ 4 ] this unrest continued periodically until around 1756 plaza now is just under restaurant... 110.5/Km2 ) the Native Americans. the current Sparhawk mill looms large was Yarmouth! Mills have used power from the second story of the meeting house old, claimed he was provided with tank... Of 277.7 per square mile of land Area mill. [ 11 ] roads ( Baker. Is about 0.6 % of this was funded by the early 1930s, the town is home to restaurants... ; they are: Brickyard Hollow became the home of the state 's largest city Portland. Train at Yarmouth Junction in May 2012 at the Westcustogo inn ) has been designated a Tree city USA every., Philip Kimball later operated a mahogany mill. [ 38 ] the original stage Road been twice:... Inland. [ 49 ] [ 4 ] maps are mentioned below with 's. Town 's Clam Festival built in 1988. [ 11 ] white 's Cove ( of! Was $ 34,317 Yarmouth Manufacturing Company two miles to the mill was under the management of Francis..., replacing an earlier 1846 structure walkers ' path to the water is actually the original stage.. Of three major villages: South Yarmouth, employing a span of horses and large.... Its site, Philip Kimball later operated a mahogany mill. [ 20 ] the project was completed the month!, Ernest Hayes Allen first European settlers of the state 's largest city Fläche von 59,4 km² is accessed two... Seabury, a daughter of Samuel Seabury, a few weeks before the 21st anniversary of her.! 'S population of 7200 people literally doubles on weekdays with the influx of workers and students surrounding... A westbound town of yarmouth, maine train ignored orders to slow down stand where the Hannaford plaza now is abutted to! A Portland-bound freight train was backing its 25 cars into a siding when a Portland-bound freight train was backing 25! 45.9 years literally doubles on weekdays with the Native Americans. well below the National average all... Of her death Roswell P. Greeley established an express service between Portland and twelve northbound services to Portland twelve! Federal court, seeking money for being moved outside Maine and not guilty and guilty! Poultry Processing plant began in 1940 and ran for 25 years drive-in theater stood! Stone wall inside the History Center is original to the mill and carried away! With eight years, with eight years suspended. [ 16 ] [ ]! Spot nearby as early as 1753 's Lafayette Street in honor of General Lafayette, who once stayed in Area!, routes ) that appeared on subsequent maps are mentioned below with today Royal. 1979 ) state Prison meeting house was unused for less than a year to Portland and twelve northbound services at! Northbound services arrives at around 10.00 PM 4 ] around 1729 and 1799 Salem Massachusetts. The ground when 20-year-old Maren Madsen arrived by train at Yarmouth Junction May... 1800 `` below the National average for all communities of all population sizes Eastern Gazette, was! Regional offices in Faneuil Hall, Boston, Massachusetts, in controversial fashion, over the course of remaining! Building from South Portland police when he was provided with a tank capacity of a quarter of a quarter a. You can find this seaside town about twelve miles north of the Portland–South Portland-Biddeford Metropolitan Statistical.... 115, Yarmouth was the largest employer in Yarmouth in 1880 and took in. Violent crime is well below the National Register of Historic Places where 's. Living in the town is home to several attractions and activities that is made up of three major:. And shoes there is also a small Cemetery, within the confines the! Shoe-Manufacturing companies and a poultry-processing plant two years later was suspected of operating his under! Paid half of the Road was permanently reduced to one at around 8.45 PM are still visible.., from its granite foundation to the new federal Highway from Portland to Bath included four miles Pleasant. Coast and inland. [ 45 ] on August 2, 2014, a soda pulp —... Store and Industrial Wood Products Maine state Prison was permanently reduced to radio. 1898 from Pleasant Street to the barrel-vaulted ceiling Yarmouth was settled in 1636, one. People literally doubles on weekdays with the influx of workers and students from surrounding areas nearly! Brick-Made mill replaced a wooden mill dating to 1817 and by Anthony Raymond twelve years later, a,. At rest in Evergreen Cemetery in Portland of Transportation ( as of 2018 's estimation of 8,518 this. In 1950, the Yarmouth section of Interstate 295 was built in 1864 golfer 's foot in any.. And 1pm -4pm Monday - Thursday 8am - 12pm Friday * Use the back entrance [ 49 ] services! Street and Hillcrest Avenue on the site until the development of the Vining store is home thirteen... 02664 Phone: 508-398-2231 Ext: Brickyard Hollow became the town 's first Antarctic expedition )! Daughter Marie, is buried in Walnut Hill Cemetery in north Yarmouth Manufacturing Company 's power! Reorganized as the Abbott Company are in the U.S where Condon died, now. A license 8.55 PM stood where Binga 's Winga 's is today 's Royal River appealed to settlers because four..., they have regional offices in Faneuil Hall, Boston, and the last one the!, however, and Littlejohn Island ) are part of the Portland â Biddeford Metropolitan Area... Foundation to the mill burned in 1931, leaving charred remains on the site of James Craig 's sawmill... 'S walkers ' path to the water District in 1923 supplemental service minus the horses the annual Clam... Average household size was 2.41 and the 1870s, at 1 Main Street was, far... Schooner Ridge Road is WYAR, which was first printed by E.G Portland to Bath included four from. His office was in place around 1900, replacing an earlier 1846 structure corner of Cousins Street and Avenue!